Monday, January 6, 2014

Oreo and KitKat Chocolate Cake

A couple of days ago, my brother and I were looking through cakes on Pinterest when we came across this. He said I couldn't do it, I said I could. Challenging me to make the cake was just his way of saying 'Nadia bake me a cake.' It looks kind of complicated, but it was super easy.


I started off with a simple chocolate cake recipe. You can use your favorite recipe but I always use this one when I want the perfect chocolate cake. I used an 8" round pan but if you are using the bigger Kit Kats, I would say to use a 6" pan.

After I baked the cake layers and let them cool, I put them in the refrigerator just so it would set and crumbs won't fall off while frosting. Then I whipped up some chocolate frosting. You can use the store bought frosting and just whip it up for a couple of minutes so you get a creamier and smoother texture. It also leaves you with more frosting.

Finally, it was time to decorate. My brothers were helping me and they kept stealing the candies, which left me with a lot less chocolate... I laid out everything on the table which made everything so much more easier to clean. For decorating, I used Whoppers but you can also use malt balls. The picture I took inspiration from had the big Kit Kats on the side, but since my cake was wider and shorter in size, I went for the smaller Kit Kats. I alternated between the white chocolate, milk chocolate, and dark chocolate. For the top I used a star tip and just frosted small swirls all around and placed the Oreos on top. Make sure you refrigerate afterwards so that the Oreos won't fall off.

Have fun with the decorating, it's your cake so use whatever you want!

This took two days to finish and one day to eat. Just saying.



Oreo and Kit-Kat Cake
Ingredients:

  • Double layered cake. You can use any flavor you want but I was going for a chocolate overload :)
  • Chocolate frosting
  • Several Kit Kats (size depending on the size of your cake. Because mine was smaller I used the mini Kit Kats.)
  • A box of Whoppers or malt balls
  • A box of Oreos
Directions:

  1. Bake your cake layers and let them cool. Place in the refrigerator for a couple hours to let them sit so the crumbs won't fall off while frosting.
  2. Frost the entire cake. (I crumb coated it first and then frosted it again)
  3. Place the whoppers all around the bottom of the cake and then place the Kit Kats on top of the whoppers.
  4. Frost small swirls on the top of the cake using a star tip, place an Oreo in each swirl.
  5. Enjoy!
Nadia


No comments:

Post a Comment